Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Obsessed?

Is everyone this obsessed when they decide to have weight loss surgery? It seems like that's all I can think about. I have been on twitter trying to find other people who have had or are going to have surgery. I also have been looking for books on amazon from people who have had the surgery. I would appreciate any advice from those who have been there about books or products they have found helpful.

otherwise....I did not walk this morning, I was so sore when I woke up but I will make myself go for a walk tonight. It's a little too hot right now in Florida to walk during the day...well, for me, right now. Can't wait to see how life changes

I have one good friend who has has a gastric bypass. Though she is a size 0 she still feels like a fat person sometimes, she forgets she no longer weighs nearly 300 pounds. She and I have talked a lot about addiction transfer and I know I need to be really careful about that. She went from being a food addict to being an alcoholic. The alcoholism has done as much damage to her body as the extra weight ever had. More about my friend later.... I am a food addict, and get addicted to things pretty quickly so I know that after surgery I need to be very careful what I allow myself to do. I have already quit smoking and will stay away from alcohol.

2 comments:

  1. I really think everyone is a little obsessed when they're making the decision to have WLS.But, with that I don't think it's a bad thing.

    I know when I decided I spent a lot of time researching forums, and everything else. But, I wanted to be informed. I wanted to know what would be going on with my body, I wanted to know EVERYTHING I possibly could. SO, it was a good thing for me. Especially after I changed my mind about what procedure I wanted because I knew I made the right decision!

    So, don't feel bad :) Enjoy being crazy obsessed right now lol.

    Transfer addictions are common. I guess it may be a good idea to talk that out before surgery and come up with a plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,
    Gorgeous Blog! I had my RNY surgery in 2000. My husband also had the surgery and he became an alcoholic, a co-worker began abusing alcohol and had mental problems after the surgery, and I started having anxiety problems and found myself slipping down that path.

    I started doing a lot of research and discovered this was a result of the malabsorption and not this "addiction transfer" thing they were calling it. Check out the recent study by Dr. Magdalena Plecka Ostlund of the Karolinska Institute in Sweden who proved that folks with the Lap Band weren't having this problem, but those with bypass were. I did learn that the Duodenal Switch may offer improvement as you don't have as much nutrient deficieny because they don't bypass the duodenum. Unfortunately I had the Roux-en-Y (in Gainesville, FL at Shands). They said it was the "gold standard".

    I blog at www.itsnotaddictiontransfer.wordpress.com

    There are lots of vitamins and amino acids you can take that will prevent much of this. I don't know if it is too late or what surgery you are contemplating, but I would definitely talk to your surgeon about the duodenal switch. I believe it has higher weight loss and better nutrient absorption, but I just started reading up on this. But most surgeons do the RNY because that is what everyone is doing.

    Best of luck to you! And good luck to your friend. Tell you friend about Baclofen and to read the blog and read Dr. Olivier Amiesen's Book "The End of My Addiction" - excellent.

    Lisa
    lisanelson_2@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete